Meatloaf

For much of my life, I was embarrassed to admit that I really liked meatloaf.  I don't know if it was Adam Sandler's song about the sloppy joe's (which I know isn't the same thing, but still, it's a song about meat) or if it's that I always felt a little overweight and thought people would secretly think "ha, typical" if I told them I loved meatloaf or if it's just so, well, meaty, that I felt less than feminine for loving it.  Whatever the reason, meatloaf was a guilty pleasure of mine. 


Until a couple of years ago.  For no reason.  I just embraced it. 


Ever since then I've been on the look out for a great meatloaf recipe.  Especially since I cut out processed foods I've been looking for a recipe that didn't have steak sauce or brown sugar or powdered onion soup mix in it.  I was on the verge of (very regretfully) giving up when I came across a new blog.  Kate Schmate.  Kate is a new friend of mine, and I'm not even sure how I happened upon her blog, but I'm so glad I did.  She often blogs about cute clothes or gift ideas or other artsy things, the kind of blogging that I'm far from creative enough to pull off.  She also writes, very inspiringly, about her "thirty before thirty" list as she checks them off.  (I wish I had had a thirty before thirty list...maybe I"ll shoot for a forty before forty).  And every Friday, she posts a "Friday Feast" with a new recipe. 

Enter the answer to my several-year-old search for a yummy meatloaf.   I knew it must be good because it came from Kate's mother-in-law, and we all know that mothers from the South are the best cooks.  I was not disappointed.  And I don't think you will be either.  Interestingly this recipe calls for ground beef and sausage, which I've never seen in a meatloaf recipe before.  The sausage gives it a great flavor, without adding anything processed, so you don't feel like you're just eating a hamburger.  Genius. 

So embrace your meatloaf-loving self, and go tell Kate Schmate how much you love her recipe (and her blog!).



Ingredients

1 pound grass-fed ground beef
1 pound pastured sausage (I used hot sausage)
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped bell pepper
2 whole wheat hamburger buns diced
1/2 cup whole milk
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 strip bacon

Directions

Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl and mix together by hand.  Place mixture into loaf pan that has been greased with coconut oil or butter.  Place a strip of bacon on top. 




Bake at 350 for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.



Printable Recipe

(Recipe adapted from www.kateschmate.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment