Orange and Dark Chocolate Buttermilk Scones







Do yall remember those commercials from years ago with a mother sitting in the kitchen reading a book or something so her family will think she's slaving away?  When the timer dings she puts the baked goods on a tray, throws some flour in her face, and walks out to serve the treats while her family ooohs and aaahs over the product of all her hard work.  This recipe kind of made me feel like that mother. 

This recipe is also one of those that help you realize that eating all natural ingredients, cutting out processed foods, doesn't have to be a burden.  With only a few minor changes from the original recipe (white flour replaced with white whole wheat flour, which has the same nutritional value as whole wheat flour but is not quite as dense, sugar replaced with honey) you have something fab.u.lous. to eat.  The orange flavor is subtle so even my husband who doesn't like oranges (weird, right???) loved these scones.  We ate them hot, and I must say, the melted dark chocolate made my Saturday morning, already great because I didn't have to go to work, even better.  And my sister was leaving town that afternoon so I gave her a couple for the flight.  She ate one the next day and told me that I was "so gourmet."  Guess that means she liked them.  I didn't tell her that the recipe was very, very easy.  I'll just let her think I'm gourmet, kinda like the mother in that commercial.

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons orange zest
2 1/4 teaspoon aluminum free baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter
1 large egg yolk
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cold buttermilk
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips

Directions

Place rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

In a mixing bowl, sift together flour, honey, orange zest, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.  (I use my fingers to rub the butter and dry ingredients together).  In another bowl, combine egg yolk and buttermilk and beat lightly with a fork.  Add to flour mixture all at once, stirring enough to make a soft dough.  Fold in the chocolate chips.

Turn out onto a floured board and knead about 15 times.  Roll or pat out into a 1-inch thickness.  Cut into 4 large or 6 small  squares.    


Place on prepared baking sheet and bake at 425 degrees F for 12-15 minutes.

Enjoy hot!  Or store in air tight container for a several days. 
(P.S.  If this picture looks blurry, that's the steam rising.  Literally.  Yum. My.)


(Recipe adapted from http://www.joythebaker.com/)





No comments:

Post a Comment