Creamy Chicken with Biscuits


I love the idea of my crock pot.  But I'm not gonna lie...crock pot recipes usually leave something to be desired.  With the rare exception, crock pot recipes are never as good as their ingredients and descriptions sound.  And yet I keep trying new crock pot recipes.  It's like some form of torture I inflict on myself!  So as per the usual, I tried this recipe without high hopes thinking I would be disappointed but hoping I would find a yummy crock pot recipe to add to my collection (of about two).  Thankfully, my expectations were surpassed and the recipe did, in fact, bump my keeper crock pot recipe collection to three! 

This chicken and biscuits is like a twist on chicken pot pie.  Instead of a crust you get biscuits.  Who doesn't love a biscuit?  Especially when it's covered with a creamy gravy of sorts?  So throw those ingredients in a crock pot, head off to work and relax, knowing dinner is taken care of.

Ingredients

3/4 pound carrots, cut into 1-inch lengths
2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
2 boneless, skinless, pastured chicken breasts
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning*
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup dry white wine or white cooking wine
1/2 cup chicken broth
4 biscuits (see Easy Drop Biscuits recipe below)
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup heavy cream

Directions

In a 4 to 6-quart slow cooker, toss together the carrots, celery, onion, and flour. 


Season the chicken with poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper, and place on top. 


Add the wine and chicken broth.  Cover and cook until the chicken and vegetables are tender, on low for 5 to 6 hours or on high for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

Thirty minutes before serving, repare the Easy Drop Biscuits.

Ten minutes before serving, add the peas, cream, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the chicken and stir to combine. 


Cover and cook until heated through, an additional 5 to 10 minutes.

* Note:  You can buy poultry seasoning, but rather than buying another spice that would only clutter my pantry, I made my own with ingredients I had on hand using this recipe.

Easy Drop Biscuits

Ingredients

2 cups white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
1 tablespoon aluminum-free baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole milk

Directions

Heat oven to 400 degrees. 

In a food processor, combine the flour, butter, baking powder, and salt.  Pulse until pea-size clumps form. 


Add the milk and pulse just until moistened.


Drop 6 large mounds of dough (about 1/2 cup each) onto a baking sheet. 


Bake until golden, 18 to 20 minutes.


To serve, place the bottom half of a biscuit in a shallow bowl.  Top with half a chicken breast and spoon the cream mixture on top.  Then place the top half of a biscuit on top.



(Recipe adapted from Real Simple, March 2011)

2 comments:

  1. Mmm. I made this Monday night for my parents, Daniel, and Gwen and Joey, and everyone loved it. I was not nervous about trying a new recipe on company because it came from you. I feel like if a recipe has a thumbs-up from you for good taste, it must be good because, like me, I know you love good-tasting food.
    This is only the first recipe I have tried, but there are so many others from your blog that are on my list. Thanks for sharing Emily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you know you can always count on me to search out good-tasting food! So glad y'all liked it! Tell them all (even your parents whom I've never met) I said hello.

    ReplyDelete