Baked Egg in Tomato Cup

So I mentioned that we've been eating a lot of eggs over the past few weeks, right?  In an effort to keep things interesting and not drive both my husband and myself crazy over eggs, I tried to mix it up a little bit. So when I saw this recipe I was so excited to try it.  I remember eating baked eggs when I was little, and I thought it was such a treat.  It was something besides your plain ol' scrambled eggs, and I loved the surprise of melted cheese at the bottom.  So not only did this recipe take me back to my childhood, it added a bit of a twist that was new.  So I had a new way to try eggs, which was probably good for my marriage.  Furthermore, aren't tomatoes just the perfect indication that summer is on its way???  So even with all the rain we've been getting, and our crazy busy schedules, this recipe looked certain to inspire us to keep going, to make it through the few rough weeks where summer would be waiting on the other side.  It did not disappoint.  Not only is the flavor good, the presentation looks much fancier than the amount of work it took.  So you can make any overnight guest feel special.  When they wander sleepy-eyed into the kitchen for a cup of a coffee in the morning, have this yummy, and easy, dish waiting for them.  But only do it if you want them to come back for another visit.  Because when you cook like this, they definitely will.


Ingredients


4 medium sized tomatoes on the vine (any tomato will do, but this variety is sturdier to stand up to being baked)
4 large eggs
1 tablespoon butter
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
Freshly minced or dried basil (or any other seasoning of your choice)
Salt and pepper



Directions


Preheat oven to 375°F. Slice off the tops of tomatoes. Carefully scoop out the pulp. 




Sprinkle the cavities with grated cheese.  Place tomatoes in a show baking pan. Crack an egg into each tomato cup. Add ¼ tablespoon butter.  Sprinkle with basil (or other seasoning of your choice) and season with salt and pepper. 

Bake 20 to 25 minutes for runnier yolks or 25 to 30 minutes for a more firm yolk.

Top with remaining cheese and serve immediately.

(Recipe from www.rotinrice.com)

2 comments:

  1. yum yum YUM! cannot wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so good! I can't wait until tomatoes are really in season, at which point this will for sure be a part of our regular rotation!

    ReplyDelete