Creamy Pasta with Roasted Zucchini, Almonds, and Basil


Y'all might have noticed that a lot of the recipes I post come from this blog.  Hers is one of the blogs I check regularly because I don't think she's ever posted a recipe that didn't look delish.  Not all of her recipes can be adapted to meet the real food guidelines, but many of them can.  Funny thing is, my tastebuds have changed so now I don't want the things that can't be adapted.  I know, I know, I've come a long way from the little girl who was going to raise a garden of snacks and desserts. 

I found this recipe on her blog as well.  I decided to try it because I have a lot of squash and zucchini from our CSA.  I didn't really feel super excited about it, but I didn't not feel excited about it either.  Well, let me just tell you, you should feel super excited about it.  The lemon and basil is perfectly light and summery.  And the roasted zucchini is a perfect addition. 

Be careful to chop up zucchini, though, and not cucumber like my hubs did.  Bless his heart.  Thank goodness he realized his mistake before we got any farther in the process, so we rectified the situation!  Be honest, though, can you really tell which one this is:


I'll never tell.  I will tell you this, though.  This pasta was so good that I decided I needed to take it for lunch the next day.  I had all the ingredients on hand except the zucchini.  No biggie.  I used squash instead, since zucchini is in the squash family.  Turns out reamy pasta with roasted squash, almonds, and basil is as good as creamy pasta with roasted zucchini, almonds, and basil.  (Ok, ok, I actually liked it better with zucchini, but it's really good with squash, too).

Ingredients

2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 3 cups)
1 1/2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons raw slivered almonds
1/3 cup heavy cream (raw or lightly pasteurized)
1 sprig basil, with leaves and stem
3 tablespoons goat cheese (lightly pasteurized)
1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
6 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti or linguine

Directions

Heat oven to 500 degrees. Toss the zucchini and oil with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste.  Arrange zucchini on a baking sheet in a single layer. Roast, tossing occasionally, until golden and tender, 20 to 30 minutes.


Meanwhile, toast the almonds in a skillet over medium heat until golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl.

Simmer the cream and basil  in a small saucepan over medium heat until reduced to 1/4 cup, about 7 minutes.


Whisk in the goat cheese until the sauce is smooth. Remove from heat; stir in lemon zest and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cover and keep warm. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain well. Toss the pasta with the cream sauce. Serve topped with the zucchini and almonds.


(Recipe from The New York Times)


No comments:

Post a Comment