Herb Butter Halibut


What???  $40 on fish for two people?  Surely you jest!  Alas, the hubs wasn't kidding when he told me the price of the fish I had told him to get.  Who knew halibut was so expensive?  I guess I'll chalk it up to a (very expensive) lesson learned in communication.  Turns out the the hubs can't really read my mind.  Although he should be able to, right?  So when you're making this recipe (and make it you should) maybe put "cheaper than halibut white fish" on your grocery list. 

Expensive lesson aside, this recipe is really good.  Smooth like butter.  That's what this fish tastes like.  And well it should, for $38.98!  The good news, though, is that the type of fish isn't what made this recipe so good.  It was the combination of butter and basil.  So you can enjoy it on the cheap.  And so will I next time I make it.

PS...I apologize for the lack of pictures in this post.  I think I was probably still in shock from the price of the fish to remember to take photos!  Good thing the recipe is pretty self-explanatory.

Ingredients

1 pound wild caught halibut filets (or any cheaper white fish you prefer)
1/2 teaspoon of sea salt + 1/2 tsp of black pepper mixed in small bowl
1 cup free range chicken or vegetable stock
2 tablespoons grassfed butter
Juice from half of one lime
1 teaspoon honey
1/8 teaspoon of sea salt
Pinch of black pepper
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped


Directions


Sprinkle both sides of fish with salt and pepper mixture.  In a medium sauté pan, heat stock and steam filets (covered) for 4 - 5 minutes, depending on thickness. Once done, remove from pan and set aside.  Cover with foil to keep warm.

Add butter to remaining stock in sauté pan to melt.  Stir in lime juice, honey, salt and pepper. Add basil and stir.

Pour herb butter evenly over cooked fish. Serve immediately.



(recipe slightly adapted from www.thefresh20.com)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment